Monday 7 July 2014

RIP Alfredo Di Stefano

Once again this year the footballing world is in mourning for a true legend of the game. Following the passing of the Portuguese great Eusebio earlier in the year, today the world lost the man who was called the greatest ever by Pele, Maradona, Sir Bobby Charlton and Eusebio himself. Alfredo Di Stefano the Real Madrid great died following a heart attack on Saturday.

Sadly I am too young to have seen him play but from what I was told by my grandfather and from what I've read and seen of him, Di Stefano was an icon of the game. Alfredo played, won and scored in 5 of Real Madrid's 10 European Cups which says everything about him as a player. He won 8 La Liga titles and is second only behind Raul in Real Madrid's highest ever goalscorers.

I could probably write paragraphs about the man but the tributes alone could form an entirely new post so I'll end by saying that my thoughts are with his family and friends at this sad time.

RIP Alfredo Di Stefano
1926-2014